So I set out to try my hand at them. How hard could it be? I normally have great success at almost everything I try to bake.
I chose three recipes and the first one is from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook page 137.
My success wasn’t the best but here goes:
For this recipe I used:
1 1/4 Cups Icing Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
3 Large Egg Whites
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
|Macaron – The Book|
|Macaron – The marked pans|
I then mixed the almond flour and icing sugar together in a small bowl. Next I heated the oven to 350˚.
|Macaron – Icing Sugar and Almonds|
Using the whisk attachment on my mixer I beat the egg whites slowly and added the salt. I then added the sugar a little at a time until the reached the soft peak stage.
|Macaron – Whisking the Egg Whites|
I sprinkled some of the almond mixture over the egg whites and carefully folded it in. I repeated with the rest of the almond mixture and the vanilla.
|Macaron – Adding the Almond Mixture and Vanilla|
I loaded a pastry bag and filled the circles on the baking pans and baked them for 20 minutes rotating once.
|Macaron – In the Oven|
Well…. these did not work out for me. Only a few had the “Pied” and fewer yet had a full “Pied”.
|Macaron – Finished and Cooled|
A couple of things occurred….
– I was working with an oven I was unfamiliar with. My new oven is a full size conventional floor oven while my previous one was a 24″ convection wall oven. It’s going to take me a bit to get used to this one one.
– I used 2 pans in the oven rather than 1. As it is a conventional oven 1 pan is probably best.
– I did not have a big enough pastry bag tip. I had to struggle a bit to get the mixture in the circles
– I baked the macaron’s too long and did not remove them from the baking sheet to cool.
A bunch of problems…..
Well time to try again!
The spoils were tasty……
|Macaron – The Ingredients|
|Macaron – Just the Egg Whites|
|Macaron – Cooling|
- Since making this recipe for the first time I have learned it is virtually impossible to over whip egg whites with sugar in them